On a rainy day back in eighty-six [poetic licence for 1984],
They said someone's comin' from the sticks,
He's gonna sing me a song like I've never heard,
Low as a frog, high as a bird!
"What you talkin about?" Hoomei,
"What you talkin about?" Sygyt,
"What you talkin about?" A little kargyraa!
(Hoomei, sygyt, and kargyraa are the three basic styles
Of Tuvan throat-singing - see Quick Guide, above.)
I was askin' and listenin' and doin' my thing
For five long years and then,
Keep on lookin' for someone to tell me
Just to sing like him - couldn't find 'im!
I've been playing the blues for 30 years
And I still keep doing my thing,
But my friend's got a new way that he sings
Like nobody you ever heard sing, come on!
So I'm gonna keep on goin' people,
And they tell me next year,
I might go to Tuva to play my thing,
So they can hear Cher Shimjer, singin!
- What You Talkin' About?
- Alash Hem (The Alash River)
- Gonna Move
- Kaldak Hamar (The Other Side Of The Mountain)
- Tras D'Orizao (Beyond The Horizon)
- Ondarnyng Ayany (Ondar's Medley)
- Kargyraa Moan
- Eshten Charlyyry Berge (It's Hard To Lose A Friend)
- Kongurey (Where Has My Country Gone?)
- Durgen Chugaa (Fast Talk)
- Sunezin Yry (Soul's Song)
- Center Of Asia
- You Gotta Move
- Tuva Farewell
- Genghis Blues Soundbites
- Eki A'Ttar (Good Horses)